www.flickr.com

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Modern Day Carnivale.....

Maker Faire Detroit 2010...
Burning Man/Geek Techy Expo/Indie Craft Faire...
I cannot say enough about Maker Faire making it's first trip to the Motor City!
We spent 6 hours walking around the grounds of The Henry Ford yesterday and I think I could have spent another 6 hours there and still not have seen everything. I am wishing that I had bought the 2 day pass because I really want to go back today! This was my kind of Circus! This Faire has something for everyone...lots of hands on DIY stations for kids and adults.
(a non-profit organization that recycles industrial scraps into inexpensive creative material)
had a build your own car and race it station that was very popular with my 7 year old son Jake, along with several build your own rocket and shoot them off stations...
tons of hands on gadgety stuff....
One of his favorite things was the Lifesize Mousetrap...very cool!
I secretly wish I were a traveling Gypsy...
Lots of Techy/Robotic/Engineering Geek stuff for Dad....
Great handmade unique "Rides" & "Vehicles"....
Great Live Local Music...
Fire.....
Enthusiastic & Helpful staff everywhere...
Don't forget to stop in @ the "Play" Exhibit inside The Henry Ford...
And of course my favorite spot was The HandMade Detroit Tent
some of the best Indie Craft around...
I must have this Crocheted Ray Gun made by Needle Noodles...
The food was great too, not your usual funnel cakes and hot dogs.
Here is a sampling off the menu in the food tent...
Falafel with Hummus/Tabouli/Pita
Open Faced Caprese Sandwich
Roasted Veggie/Cavatapi Pasta
Sesame Noodle/Veggie Salad
Handmade Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches
Yummy Strawberry Shortcakes
All very reasonably priced and quite delicious.
Probably the first time I actually felt good after I ate at a "Faire".
At the end of the day my 7 year old son Jake said this....
"This was the best day of my life"
O.k..maybe a little overly dramatic...but close.
Can't wait to go back next year!

No comments: